Out of all the dental problems a person can experience over the course of their life, bad breath (also referred to as halitosis) is often both the most common and the most embarrassing. After all, one of the worst feelings in the world is when a person you’re enthusiastically conversing with quietly lets you know about the odor. Here in Naperville, IL, Dr. Paul Caputo and his team are happy to help you find the source of this icky problem and combat it effectively with a regular check-up. In the meantime, here are some helpful tips that can help you avoid bad breath in the comfort of your own home:
- The tongue (particularly the back of it) is a natural hotbed for foul-smelling bacteria, but it can be hard to reach with a regular toothbrush. Instead, invest in a tongue scraper!
- Illnesses and diseases that take place in other areas of your body can have adverse affects on your breath as well. If you suffer from lung disease, diabetes, or gastrointestinal issues, it may be in your best interest to inquire about bad breath at your next dental appointment with Dr. Caputo.
- Chewing sugarless gum can help facilitate the production of saliva, which is a natural cleanser and will keep food particles from hanging around and causing a stink.
- Investing in an anti-bacterial mouthwash may help add an extra layer of protection against bad breath.
- Avoid notoriously smelly foods such as onions and garlic.
If your bad breath is chronic, there may be a deeper problem going on; that’s why it’s so important to maintain regular check-ups at our Naperville office. Call our team today to schedule your next appointment, or if you have any questions or concerns about bad breath. We’re committed to helping patients feel better and smile bigger! We also serve the areas of Bolingbrook, Aurora, Plainfield, Romeoville, and beyond.