Laser dentistry is a branch of dental medicine that uses laser technology to perform various dental procedures that once required metal instruments. The use of laser technology in dentistry offers several benefits over traditional methods, including increased precision, reduced trauma, and faster healing times.
What is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry is a minimally invasive modern approach to dental care that provides a more comfortable and efficient dental experience for patients over traditional dental techniques.
Instead of metal instruments, your dentist uses a laser to create light energy that is concentrated into a narrow and focused beam that allows them to remove or reshape hard and soft tissue.
There are two main types of dental lasers: hard tissue lasers and soft tissue lasers.
Hard Tissue Laser Dentistry
Hard tissue laser dentistry refers to using laser technology in dental procedures involving teeth. Hard tissue lasers can cut through tooth structure and are used in a variety of hard tissue procedures, including:
- Tooth preparation for fillings and crowns
- Removal of tooth decay
- Reshaping of teeth
Soft Tissue Laser Dentistry
Soft tissue laser dentistry uses laser technology in dental procedures involving soft tissues such as gums. Soft tissue lasers are used in a variety of soft tissue procedures, including:
- Gum reshaping and contouring
- Removal of gum tissue for crown lengthening
- Treatment of gum disease
- Removal of soft tissue tumors
- Exposure of unerupted or partially erupted wisdom teeth
- Treating tongue-tied children (tongue frenulum attachment)
Your dentist can also use laser dentistry to perform:
- Teeth whitening
- TMJ treatment
- Nerve regeneration
- Benign oral tumor removal
- Treating cold sores
- Treating sleep apnea
Health Benefits of Laser Dentistry
There are several benefits of laser dentistry for patients over traditional methods, including:
- More Precision. Laser technology allows dentists to perform procedures with greater accuracy, reducing the risk of complications and improving the procedure’s overall outcome.
- Minimal Trauma, Bleeding, and Swelling, and Faster Healing. Laser technology is designed to be minimally invasive and precise, reducing the amount of tissue trauma and the risk of bleeding during and after the procedure. The laser also promotes blood clotting for a faster recovery.
- Reduced Risk of Infection, and Less Need for Sutures. The precise nature of laser technology reduces the amount of tissue damage during the procedure and sterilizes the area, which decreases the risk of infection. Because the procedure is minimally invasive, in many cases, sutures are unnecessary.
- Quieter Treatments and Reduced Dental Anxiety. Laser dentistry is also a quieter option compared to traditional dental procedures. This is because laser technology does not produce the same noise level as conventional dental tools, which can be a major source of dental anxiety for patients.
- Ideal for Patients with Sensitive Teeth. Laser dentistry is also a good option for patients with sensitive teeth. This is because laser technology is designed to be gentle and precise, reducing the amount of tissue trauma and discomfort.
- Take Advantage of Laser Dentistry for Your Oral Health. Laser dentistry is an innovative dental care approach that offers patients several health benefits. Whether you are looking to improve your smile or treat gum disease, laser dentistry is an excellent option for tooth and gum health.
At Caputo Dental, we are committed to providing our patients with the latest and most advanced dental treatments. Our experienced dentists and dental professionals are trained in the latest laser dentistry techniques and are equipped to provide you with the highest quality care. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.