Around this time every year millions of children celebrate Halloween by dressing up as their favorite characters and campaigning for as much candy as they can possibly fit in their little portable pumpkins. It’s an annual past time, and while you want your kids to enjoy the holiday, you can’t help being concerned about how consuming so many sugary treats will affect their dental health. You don’t have to worry this year, because there are steps you can take to ensure that your child’s teeth will stay healthy and cavity free throughout the holiday season. The most important step to take is to make an appointment with Dr. Caputo, the premier Naperville General and Family Dentist today. Dr. Caputo proudly serves families throughout Aurora, Plainfield, Romeoville, Bolingbrook and all of Northwestern Illinois.
5 Ways to Protect Your Family’s Teeth This Halloween
- Avoid Sugary Snacks– You should prevent your child from eating too many sugary snacks between meals. Try serving snacks that will not harm your child’s teeth like vegetables, cheese, pretzels, nuts and seeds.
- Chew Sugar Free Gum After Meals– This generates excess saliva in the mouth. Saliva helps to wash away the sugars and acids. Sugar free gum also contains an ingredient known as Xylitol, which has been proven to help fight cavities.
- Drink Plenty of Water and Milk– Drinking a glass of water after every sugary treat will help wash away the sugars and acids. The calcium in milk can help boost the strength of the enamel.
- Avoid Soft and Sticky Treats– This includes candy like gummy bears and starburst and also dried fruit like cranberries and peaches. These can easily get stuck between teeth and cause decay.
- Keep Up Good Oral Hygiene Habits– Always make sure your child is brushing and flossing twice a day.
A Quality Family and General Dentist in Naperville, IL
You don’t have to fall in line with the crowd and give in to unhealthy eating habits this holiday season. Be proactive with your family’s oral health care and make an appointment with Dr. Caputo today, your premier Naperville Family and General Dentist. Dr. Caputo also proudly serves families throughout Aurora, Plainfield, Romeoville, Bolingbrook and all of Northwestern Illinois.